We welcome you to participate in our worship, which is a process of prayerful waiting and listening to what is going on around us and to that of God within us.
Quaker worship is unique, because instead of following a prepared liturgy, we trust that the Holy Spirit will provide the words.
To learn more about why we worship the way we do, read about what Quakers believe.
Sunday Meeting for Worship
Our services are hybrid, with both online and in-person participation.
Worship begins at 10:30 a.m., though many people settle into worship beforehand.
If you’re joining us in person, come into our meetinghouse through the side entrance that leads into the kitchen. A greeter will be there to welcome you and show you to the meeting room. If worship has already begun, you’ll be asked to wait in the library until 10:45, when the children leave the meeting room to go to religious education class (which we call First Day School).
If you’re joining us online, click this link to open the Zoom app on your computer or mobile device. The online meeting room will be opened at 10:00 a.m. so that people have time to log in.
When worshipping, follow these steps:
- Wait in silence for the Spirit to provide a message.
- Ask yourself: Is this message for you? Is it something for you to share with everyone else? Do you need to share it now?
- If you are so moved, stand and speak into the microphone set up in the center of the meeting room so that everyone who is worshipping online can hear. (Online worshippers: unmute yourself to speak, but then remute when you are finished.)
- If someone has just spoken, leave a period of silence before speaking so that we may take in what was said.
- If no one speaks, that’s OK too.
- Try to speak no more than once per meeting.
Just before the end of worship, we will share joys and concerns (prayers of thanks and prayers for help, or “holding in the Light”).
We conclude with the shaking of hands (for those of us in person) and greeting everyone present, both in person and online.
After meeting for worship, we invite you to stick around for conversation and refreshments. (The online meeting room will be kept open until noon.)
On the third Sunday of the month (and fifth Sunday when those occur), we have a potluck meal together.
Wednesday Worship Sharing
On Wednesday nights, we practice worship sharing, or meditating on a selected piece of spiritual literature. The Zoom link above is open around 6:50 p.m. for people to greet each other, read the selection for the evening, and begin silent worship at 7 p.m.
Worship sharing goes from 7:15 to 8 p.m., after which we shift to informal discussion and socializing up to 8:30 p.m.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What should I wear? Whatever you are comfortable in. There is no dress code.
- Where should I sit? Anywhere. There are no assigned seats.
- Do I have to wear a face mask to protect against COVID? While masks are not required, you are welcome to wear one if you wish.
- Where should I park? We have a small lot reserved for visitors and people with mobility impairments. Most of us park on the street or in the back parking lot of Verbena Salon & Spa on 15 West 7th Street. If you park there, the meetinghouse property can be entered via a gate accessible from the back parking lot. Be sure the gate closes behind you when you enter and leave. It must be locked at all times. There’s an access code to the gate; email our Web Administrator to get it.
- How accessible is the meetinghouse? There is a ramp for accessing the first floor side entrance through the kitchen, and for entering and exiting the meeting room. A bathroom is available in the First Day School room next to the stairs by the front entrance. All Meeting activities take place on the first floor of the meetinghouse.