Our community began informally in the late 1970s, when several Friends who had moved to Frederick County decided to gather for worship in each other’s homes. Eventually, we outgrew those spaces and began to rent meeting space in the City of Frederick. In the early 1990s, we purchased our current meetinghouse, where we have worshipped ever since.
As members of the Religious Society of Friends (or Quakers), we are a part of Baltimore Yearly Meeting, which is the regional organizing unit for Quakers in central Pennsylvania, Maryland, parts of West Virginia, Virginia, and the District of Columbia. Through BYM, we are affiliated with Quaker “umbrella” organizations Friends General Conference and Friends United Meeting.
Officers of the Meeting
- Elizabeth (Betsy) Tobin, Clerk
- Helen Tasker and Elizabeth Rogers, Recording Clerks
- Anne Rill, Recorder
- Ethan Bliss, Treasurer
Trustees of the Meeting
- Jerry Coates
- Julie Odland
- Clerk of Meeting (ex officio)
- Treasurer (ex officio)
- First Day School: Responsible for guiding the educational activities for children on First Day (Sunday) and youth experiences of the Meeting.
- Ministry & Counsel: Concerned with nurturing ministry and worship within the Meeting, caring for members’ needs and spiritual well-being.
- Nominating: Identifies and recommends to the Meeting those who are willing to fill positions of service, including officers, ad hoc committees, and standing committees.
- Peace & Social Concerns: Encourages the expression of Friends’ concerns on peace, justice, social and environmental issues in the greater community and facilitates the process of corporate witness in these areas.
- Program: Initiates and plans social and community building programs.
- Property: Prepares and maintains the indoor and outdoor areas of the meetinghouse to meet the Meeting’s spiritual and physical needs.
- Stewardship & Finance: Oversees the Meeting’s finances, including encouraging contributions and monitoring the Meeting’s accounts.